Modified by providing unbreakable front Glass Shield for the safety of rider, comfortable helmet for rider having additional space inside for Bluetooth, earpiece etc., specially designed smart vest as per weather condition, body-worn Cameras for recording action and interaction with the public, and ear plugs to be used with wireless set. This is the description of refurbished ‘RAFTAAR’ motorcycle and such 300 motorcycles were launched by Delhi Police in a ceremonial function today. The key objective of the scheme is to ensure better visibility for the police combined with area dominance and effective patrolling, as also quicker response to distress calls in vulnerable and congested localities, with particular focus on those relating to women’s safety.
Not only smart look, Raftaar motorcycle will be equipped with hand held walkie-talkie connected with District Control Room as well and will receive distress calls through this mode. These motorcycles are also fitted with GPRS and area of each district and entire city is Geofenced for monitoring their movements from District Control Room and also from Central Police Control Room at Police Head Quarters. Raftaar motorcycles will share the responsibility of police control room vans (PCR vans) in reaching distress spots.
Home Minister of India Rajnath Singh flagged off the motorcycles at a function near India Gate, a war memorial in the capital city of India. Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal was also present at function.
Presently, there are 2028 Motor Cycles allotted to different districts of Delhi Police. At present, one Motor Cycle in each police station is connected with the CPCR (Central Police Control Room) and Calls are being transmitted to them by CPCR. Police has observed from experience that in crowded areas, these Motor Cycles could reach the spot faster than the bigger vehicles. Sometimes, due to traffic congestion along the route, PCR vans take longer time to reach the spot. On the contrary, Motor Cycles can reach the spot must faster as they can negotiate and move through narrow/crowded lanes more effectively.
According to police officials, for more effective utilization of this important resource, i.e. motorcycles, available in the police stations, it was decided that three motor cycles each from every Police Station would be refurbished, given a facelift and used effectively for more visibility of Delhi Police on Roads as well as for area domination on a regular basis.
According to a press release, the main objectives of the Raftaar Patrol Scheme are :
- Ensure quick police action on receipt of PCR Calls, particularly distress calls relating to women’s safety.
- Reduce the reaching time of police to public in distress.
- Reduce the complaints of late arrival of PCR Vans due to traffic snarls.
- Ensure quick intervention in law & order situations.
- Ensure area domination through regular patrolling and visibility, and thereby instill a sense of safety and security
- Intercept criminals like robbers and snatchers, since such crimes are generally committed by motorcycle borne criminals who invariably escape by avoiding the PCR vans by moving through dense traffic or narrow/congested lanes.